If you’d like to help but can’t take time to come to Washington or talk on the phone with an aide of your member of Congress, we ask that you send an email or letter to your Congressional representatives, both in the House and the Senate if you can. Even if you have sent previous emails or letters, it is important that you reach out again by sending this one by April 1. We have a message already drafted for you, both a version that you can personalize and one that you can simply copy-and-paste. You can participate in making Homeopathy on the Hill a success by sending this message to your member of the House and your two Senators (if you have time) below:
Subject: Safeguarding the right to choose homeopathy
I am a constituent and a volunteer for Americans for Homeopathy Choice, a nationwide grassroots homeopathy advocacy organization. This message is directed to the Health Legislative Assistant or staff member responsible for health policy.
I’m writing because I’m very concerned about some recent FDA actions which threaten my ability to access homeopathy. I’m asking you to oppose the FDA’s misguided efforts and to help protect our right to choose the full range of homeopathic medicines.
Let me tell you a little about homeopathy if you are unfamiliar with it. First, homeopathy is a federally recognized form of medicine. It is completely nontoxic and has demonstrated its safety and effectiveness for the past 200 years. In fact, homeopathy is backed by thousands of research studies, papers and clinical trials.
It is used by six million Americans. I use it regularly to treat everyday conditions and rely on it to stay healthy.
But all of the good that homeopathy does for me is now at risk. In December 2017 the FDA proposed new guidance that, if adopted, would seriously undermine trust in homeopathic medicine by deregulating its manufacture. This guidance would also simultaneously curtail access through unwarranted bans on some products.
We are developing legislation that will:
1. Recognize homeopathy’s unique status.
2. Maintain the high quality and purity of homeopathic medicines.
3. Protect consumer access to the full range of inherently safe homeopathic products.
We expect to have more details available by early April.
I also want to alert you that our organization, Americans for Homeopathy Choice, previously dropped off an invitation to your office to two events scheduled for April 9 that we’d like you to consider attending:
1. A luncheon briefing from 12 noon to 1 p.m. in the Gold Room of the Rayburn Building entitled “Homeopathy and American Health.” This luncheon includes a preview of the film “Magic Pills.”
2. A red carpet film premiere of “Magic Pills: Homeopathy, Promise or Placebo?” at 7 p.m. This documentary film will be screened at the AFI Silver Theatre in Silver Spring, Maryland. Included are a Q&A with the filmmaker and a reception with complimentary light hors d’oeuvres, beer and wine. If you have time, we hope you will join our supporters in the Washington area for some conversation, entertainment and fun.
To view updated information about these events and to RSVP, visit: https://homeopathychoice.org/lunchandscreening/
I’d like to highlight just three areas where homeopathy could make a large positive impact on the health of Americans:
1. Pain management. Homeopathy speeds the resolution of many painful conditions thereby avoiding the need for nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) and opioids for a wide range of conditions. Post-operative recovery, migraine headaches, musculoskeletal injuries, and many acutely painful illnesses respond well to homeopathic intervention with fewer side effects, lower cost, and more rapid recovery. Homeopathy could, therefore, be an effective adjunct to other medical therapies in curtailing the current opioid epidemic.
2. Withdrawal from addictive substances. Homeopathic treatment can assist in the process of withdrawal from substance abuse of opioids, benzodiazepines, and other drugs. Evidence suggests that homeopathy is effective in reducing symptoms of post-acute withdrawal syndrome (PAWS).
3. Overuse of antibiotics. Homeopathy augments the immune system in response to many infectious conditions and speeds recovery. This allows practitioners to use antibiotics less often.
With all the challenges we face in health care, now is not the time to restrict the options available to Americans to improve their health outcomes. Now is the time to protect and expand those options in order to provide maximum flexibility and choice to practitioners and consumers alike as they seek better health for themselves, their patients and their families.
I look forward to your reply. Thank you for your attention.